Wednesday, 11 May 2016

Quilt-A-Long : The Rainbow Rose block

Anyone up for a Quilt-A-Long?
I've made this block twice now - I'm calling it the Rainbow Rose block (based on the Dutch Rose block aka the Swoon block!)  I made a 24" version for a Schnitzel & Boo mini quilt swap and had it standing on point. This year I made a 16" version as a starter block for our Round Robin but lately I've been thinking of making a giant block version as a lap quilt. Plus I have two baby quilts to make this might be a fun present for a family with a newborn!

National Quilting week on the 1st June seems as good a time as any to start it. Anyone want to join me?

The Quilt-A-Long will guide you through 2 sizes of quilts:
  • A baby quilt using 5" squares so perfect for those Charm Squares you may have been collecting. 
  • A larger lap quilt using 10" squares so perfect for Layer Cakes! 

We'll have fun exploring some colour theory and building a colour wheel.

The schedule is:
June 1st: Fabric Selection & Cutting
June 8th: Piecing the middles
June 15th: Piecing the corners
June 22nd: Piecing the centre star
June 29th: Assembly
July 20th: Link up party for assembled and completed quilts

If anyone is interested in sponsoring a prize please drop me a line!


For more on the Dutch Rose block see this earlier post.

I hope you will quilt along with me on June 1st!
-Ruth

23 comments:

  1. I'd be interested in this one alright. Count me in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great stuff - will be a very fun fabric pull for this one!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks a million Tomomi- will drop you a line!

      Delete
  3. I don't know if i qualify as a modern quilter, but I a) love rainbow color transitions and b) need some simple piecing for a change. Can I join?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All welcome Lena - its a traditional block at the base of the design so a nice way to combine the two!

      Delete
  4. It should be very fun and I love the modern touch to a classic pattern. I am also sharing it to my friends in the Swedish Guild Rikst├Ącket, even if it isn´t a modern guild. I am trying to get them inspired.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brilliant the more the merrier!

      Delete
  5. I'd love to both do this and be a sponsor - justsewnow.com!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Eleanor that's fantastic!

      Delete
  6. I would love to quilt a long. Thank you for taking the time to organize it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen - looking forward to seeing what we all come up with!

      Delete
  7. Love it count me in!!
    Thanks Ruth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brilliant Paula! This will be lots of fun!

      Delete
  8. I'd love to join the (my first!) Quiltalong if it's not too late. Thanks Ruth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fantastic - First post set to go live tonight!

      Delete
  9. Count me in. I might have posted this already but can't see it. Better twice than none. Better at sewing than technology

    ReplyDelete
  10. Count me in. I might have posted this already but can't see it. Better twice than none. Better at sewing than technology

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brilliant Imelda - looking forward to it now!

      Delete
  11. This one looks like a fun one to do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks hope you can join us!

      Delete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It will be so fun. I am following you from Sweden

    ReplyDelete